Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Ode to my alter ego...

I didn’t ask you for you even in my darkest hour
The length of my days and the rhythm of its nights
Stayed static and still like a never ending adagio
The symphony though nocturne was an uncomplicated andante

Everything I am and have done seems now gauche and desperate
The words I’ve written were empty barges
Looking for a secure shore to drop anchor
While all this while it’s been the grapnel that skimmed and kissed the quicksand

Maybe you’re a figment of my overactive imagination
That seems more desperate than the vulture at a banquet
Is hungrier than can be sated
And wants to devour till it’s depleted

I am so many people
And yet I am no one
I’m the white horse you ride surfboards on
I’m the Dead Sea you hover desultorily over

I didn’t ask for you even in my bleakest hours
Even those spent wandering aimlessly in the barrenness of my soul
Or the darkness of the stalactite caverns of the mind
Waiting for that icicle to skiver eyes that have no right to behold

Yet here you are, blight on my peace
Nemesis of the fiendish kind
Spurring the beast to surpass the superlative
To rise above the sinuous ellipse

It's akin to a bloodied war, it's spoils cheated of a decent interment
No time to mourn the grim scrimmage 
A cleansing after the ashes settle
As I seek to prove my unyielding mettle

The rites of celebration play rampant in the spirit
My wolf call loud and unabashedly brash
I'm the hunter and the hunted, the tormentor and his delight
I didn't ask for you and you came, so stay... until I annihilate myself




No comments: