Friday, October 28, 2016

Keeda kaun...

I'm mean, like really... shut up Anjali.

So this morning I drive to buy diwali sweets and as I enter the roundabout I can see another car do the same. In my mind I have entered it before the other car and I'm sure he thought the same with the only difference being that he lost it! Like seriously. I could see him shake his fist and mouth the words MC...

That was it… I saw and felt the words and lost it too!

 I began laughing uncontrollably, the fit of giggles was so overwhelming that I had to double park by the kerb 'cos I was shaking so badly and the poor guy was apoplectic as he could obviously see me doubled up. So he slows down to hurl more abuse and bursts a few blood vessels while gesticulating wildly and by now I'm tearing up with all the mirth. If he could get off the car and cause physical damage, I'm pretty sure he would have but there were a few cars lined up behind him and he had to reluctantly drive ahead.

Once the laughter died down though I started feeling remorseful... I probably ruined his weekend and he would probably do the same for someone else.

Which brings me to the why? I mean why do I get cheap thrills at being petty and mean. Most often I'm the one sermonising about kindness and empathy and decency towards fellow human beings. I cannot handle meanness and it bothers me endlessly when I see victimisation and then I go and do this. 
Sigh!

Also brings some déjà vu, Anjali and me are serial offenders. There’s a pattern and a method to our madness, we’re quite famous for making faces at unsuspecting people behind the wheel and riling them up and egging them on to something stupid and the thrill! Oh man…. I remember one drive in particular where Anjali played zombie with dilated eyes and a deadpan expression on her face which was stuck to the window and I would slow down and she would stare into every passing vehicle like that. After about eight people almost drove off the road in shock we gave up counting!!!


TJ has a name for it. She says we have the keeda. So the next time you see Anjali and me on the road, remember… keeda kaun!

No comments: