Sunday, March 4, 2012

On children..

My first blog of the year 2012 and I want to write about the passing of time.. the year that just went by and of course my children, who overnight have turned into mini adults..
Jeez.. when did they grow man.. Friday afternoon at our ritual family meal, my son points to his birthmark, which is fiery red on his cheek and says, "this is a love bite.. I got this hickey from Peri Peri (my husband's dreamgirl)"
I was completely and utterly bamboozled(funny word this.. bamboo+booze+snoozled). Just a few days ago when I sported a decorated neck, he had piped up, "Mumma whats that?" And now he calmly discusses hickies..
My poor mother... just 'cos I'm a devil, I'd like to repeat this conversation to her.. She will instantly retaliate with, "how does he know? And should he?"
Read this, " A child who is protected from all controversial ideas is as vulnerable as a child who is protected from every germ. The infection, when it comes - and it will come - may overwhelm the system, be it the immune system or the belief system" - Jane Smiley
........in defence of my son and ultimately me?
I dont know... but I have believed that a child has a right to accurate information and as far as possible, we as parents should not withhold it.. I haven't yet had my 'birds and the bees' conversation with the kids yet, but have a feeling that I might be educated rather than them!
The year that will be... I'm sure will rock!

No comments: