Monday, March 5, 2012

Uggy Booby Doo


I have this horrid habit.. giving indecipherable names to that which I love, human or animal.. This is Leo, our Rottweiler. He's a year and a half and is the most loved member of our family.

December 2010, after months of begging, pestering, cajoling and pleading from the children, Anil goes to the Sharjah animal market and returns with a crate marked ' From Tashkent'.

Peering from inside was this little pup with doleful eyes, a cut tail that wagged furiously, it was love at first sight, beginning with Anil and ending with me. Amanda and Alder had surrended themselves completely to this wonder.
Begins debate, what do we name him.. After much opinion - Leo was chosen, simply because that is his star sign. His birth certificate said he was born in August.
He brought into our home affection and fun.. the kids now growing dont much care for cuddling and petting but with Leo, anything goes, they kiss him, forever hug him and of all the weird things, Alder even bites him.
We vaccinate the dog against what he may contract from human bites!
In his vet's clinic, there's this poster which says that 'Until you have loved an animal, a part of your soul remains unawakened'.
The warmth and joy he greets us when we return home(even if we've been away for a mere five minutes) and the games he loves to play, from being chased around the house and garden, to diggin up the herb and flower patches (not funny!) are endearing.
At this moment, he is chewing up my hairband and peering through his doe eyes and refuses to give it up no matter how much I plead or threaten.
Gave it up... some things are just not worth losin your equilibrium over.. he teaches me this all the time.. its like the battle between the stream and and the rock..
So what is Uggy Booby Doo... that's what I call him, besides Babushka and Ugly... :D
Everyone gets mad when I say 'Ugly' and he comes running over. Alder has tried to psych him.. peers into his eyes and keeps chanting sonorously.." you are not Ugly.. you are Leo".. over and over until Alder himself looks hypnotised.
I sit and watch the drama and softly whisper.. 'Ugly...' and he comes leaping towards me. The episode always ends with Alder storming away in anger at me and my Uggy..
I will talk more about him and what he brings to each one of us with our different personalities..
For now.. Uggy Booby Doo.. well he is our baby and we couldn't be more content.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-) I can change my name too! As long as u call me with the same lobe!