Saturday, March 17, 2012

Silence is Consent!

Was in a training at office, "Zero Harm" - an EHS initiative.
The presenter keeps repeating these words, 'silence is consent', sometimes very excitedly, like breaking good news. Sometimes very gravely as if announcing deatth and sometimes in a whisper, like soothing a screaming child.

Hmmmnn.. am thinking, I've always believed that in silence, lies my greatest strength. That I have let my silences tide over difficult, confrontational and volatile times, I let things pass, ease.. melt.. settle, just by being stoic and accepting. That's the way I am, it's in my basic nature to be non vocal about the things that really matter (Really?!!?) Umnn.. just lost my line of thought at that.. am thinking.. Me? and non vocal? I dont need anyone else to tell me how much I talk - jeez.. sometimes I tire my own auditory senses. :D.. Boy! I can talk and then talk some more and exhaust the listener.

What am I claiming then, when I say that I'm silent and let things go.. I am this split personality.. which of us isn't.. but I guess I have these two strong splits.. one which cant shut up and the other which shuts up at the most important times.

Silence is really assent, I do believe that.. in retrospect everything is in sharp focus and in technicolor detail isn't it..
How many times have we wondered, if I had acted on my instincts and said something, maybe at that point it would seem a red herring, but time would prove that it was the wisest move. Speculation isn't always idle, especially if it leads to strengthen resolve.

The balance should be in managing these two strong personalities that are in contrast to each other and get them to either behave in tandem, or create another me that picks the best of both and knows when to operate from in which mode.

I'm a basket case.. I think at times.. I mean, I'm astounded at the many creatures that dwell in me. Some I recognise easily, others are a revelation and I'm like.. 'where the hell did that come from?' Why can't life be more simple, less complicated, silent and calm, proper and strait laced.. why can't I be easy to handle.. even to my own self.. I'd like to wake one morning and look in the mirror and say, 'Ah, its you - boring and predictable, but definitely easy to handle'.

I'm lying!!! Liar Liar... I love these complexities and confusion and the chaos.

Silence, now that would be boring.. and yes, I guess I have reached a point in life where, my silent me will speak up when should and the other nonsensical blabber mouth will cow down before the silent one.

God Bless my family and friends.. as they tiptoe around my various personalities, trying to figure which freak is currently operational!

No comments: