Sunday, September 6, 2015

With great power comes great reponsibility... Sigh!

Spiderman immortalised this sentence although sources claim that it wasn't Ben Parker's original thought and attribute it to an anonymous writer.

Today I am made aware the full impact of this sentence. Being a team leader isn't always fun and taking tough decisions is very much part of the workplace, even if it breaks your heart to be the bearer of bad news.

It's hunky dory when the sailing is smooth and when you can play benevolence to the hilt, but when you wield the sword, ah that's when it speaks of character and strength and frankly the b*lls.

I discovered much to my consternation that while I enjoy being in the place that allows me to make decisions, when it comes to the crunch I try to shy away. And... I noticed that this is pretty much typical of how I am with everything. I vaccilate so much that even a pendulum looks steady in comparisn.

Thankfully, this time my new found strength made it easy for me and I was able to think objectively and while my heart bled my voice didn't quaver nor did my eyes do the cry me a river tune.

After which I realised how empowering it really is, taking tough decisons. It's like baptism by fire, you burn as you walk through the decision and the scars sometimes remain and linger but it also is a purgation.

My only prayer being though, that I remain touched by genuineness and that taking tough decisions should be a rite of emotional passage and not become a clinical incision, that I bleed every time I sever an important part and that I become a better person.


No comments: