Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Tomorrow is another day...

Just heard from my friend Geet that an old neighbor died today.

This gentleman was in his sixties or may be early seventies. I met him when I moved into our apartment in Mangalore 14 years ago and he was one one of the stalwarts of the building, serving in the committee, was an active member of the church, would sing and laugh and loved life to its fullest. He enjoyed having people over and loved to sing old konkani songs, always full of bonhomie. He and his wife were like two peas in a pod, always well turned out and looked like they had a lot of fun together.

To say he doted on her would be an exaggeration because it was the truth although he never made grand declarations of love. She passed away a few years ago and Uncle Pinto as we knew him never let her go. His daughter lives in Delhi and although he did stay with them for a while promptly returned to his home soon after. He let the joy seep out of his life and slowly withered. His larger than life personality and the exuberance he exhibited waned as his eyes instead of sparkling with life, now sparkled with the pain of unshed tears.

It was like he was just passing time until today came long where he would also leave and hopefully join his beloved wife.

His passing brings a regretful sigh but I'm saddened by the thought that he just let this life disintegrate and dissolve into nothingness. Life is a gift and one we should all celebrate.


I found this post a few days ago and liked it so much that I saved it, didn't think I would use it as quickly as I am. Poignant this message and while not undermining the fact that if you find happiness in love embrace it, also serves to remind that there are other means of happiness too!

This life is too precious and beautiful and marvellous to let it slip away because you invested everything you had in one person or one relationship. The loss of your beloved is irreversible and painful, agreed. But like Scarlett O'Hara said to Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind", tomorrow is another day!

I believe that my tomorrows' will be better than my todays'
no matter how splendid today was
I believe I will laugh a little louder and dance a little slower
no matter how rythmic the sway today
I believe I will find joy in my tomorrow
even if I dont think I can be happier than I am now
I believe I will still smile at a baby, wink at a child and flirt with the world
even when I'm old and infirm and have no memory...

I believe in tomorrow...

No comments: