Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Shades of grey... not 50 please...!!!


No, this post is not a reference to those terrible books by E. L. James which I swore to myself that I wouldn't even bother commenting on...

Good people and bad people... do they exist? Is someone, wholly good and is the other completely bad? We are disappointed in relationships, in our interactions with people who we know well, and those we those we know superficialy too.. Most of this disappointment stems from our expectations. We think very hard and expect people around us to behave in a certain manner that is pleasing to us and are quick to push someone off the pedestal when they fall from grace.

Labelling people as good, bad, nice, mean are easy and we do so consciously and unconsciously, it's almost as though we were born with a gavel in hand. We do so with people we do not know very well either. We lose friends and acquiantances on the journey of life simply because somewhere deep inside of us we had some expectations of that person which were not fulfilled, whether it is justified or not, doesn't seem to matter.

The older I grow, I am quite sure of who I want in my life and who I'm glad to let go of. And this isn't because I am mindful of having only 'good' people around me and discarding the 'bad'. I honestly believe that there we are both in equal measure and please, I refuse to open Pandora's box here by defining 'good' and 'bad'. It's perception and so be it.

We are all many shades of that in between, indescribable hue. Just as someone who dined at your table doesn't attain sainthood because he sent you flowers, so should you not condemn to eternal damnation because he forgot to thank you.
We have to accept that all of our friends, relatives, children, partners and above all, ourselves- we are all part of that ambiguous tinge and just as we give ourselves margin for being so, we should give people who matter that leeway too.

No comments: