Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Phenomenal Woman...


There's this streak of doubt that flits in and out of my mind, almost a constant. Times when I feel that I'm lesser than what I should be, more insignificant than is important, more empty than enough. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's universal. These moments of agonising over, of self agony that seeks answers from within as well as from the external.

I don't feel alone in this, I'm connected and bound to many women, my friends, sisters... women... of all shapes, sizes, color and creed. Juggling many lives and operating in many roles.. there is a vaccuum at times, from the bustle there is a disquiet. When it reaches peak, I look for inspiration, support and strength and I do find it...

Have noticed that whenever a woman quotes from another woman's work, she's considered feminist. And feminist is a bad word! A woman who believes in and hold's her own and is vocal and demonstrative of it, is somehow thought as making an emphatic statement or as a bitter person. Through my college years and after, I'd been labelled as feminist and I was somehow proud of the word, even though it was said in terms that weren't positive.

I draw hope from one my favorite authors, Maya Angelou- the American author and poet, who I will quote many times in Garbled Thoughts.

“Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.”

The smile on my face arises from the warmth that emanates as it courses through my veins... the joy in being a woman... cranky and all...

No comments: