Friday, November 18, 2016

Haberdashery...

I have this quirk, a word enters my head and refuses to leave and props up at the most inopportune times and I find myself trying to frame sentences with it in my conversations with self. 
Not going there, that’s Pandora’s box. I’m both prosecution and defense.

Haberdashery is the current bĂȘte noire. The definition of the word is ‘small items used in sewing, such as buttons, zips, and thread’. Gets me thinking, what a beautiful word… buttons, zips and thread are the links convert fabric into an item of clothing. Yarn, whether as cloth or the fantasies that we weave need haberdashery to convert them into a complete ensemble.

Methinks we need haberdashery in life as well, little things that seem so insignificant and blasé are in truth the mechanisms that transfigure the mundane into a work of art.

That haberdashery then could be the hobbies you cultivate and nurture, the habits you inculcate, the idiosyncrasies that define you and above all, the people who surround you.

And now the sentence that's playing on loop in my head, you’re the haberdashery that augments my raiment from cotton to gossamer…

No comments: