Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Preach no more...

Am part of a training on managerial skills and one session was a live simulation of coaching and delegation.
The planners were given a puzzle and they had to give instructions to the team of implementers who would solve it and I was part of the observers team.
When it was time to give feedback, I was brutally honest and unerringly blunt and to me it seemed that I was being candid and they were propitious in having a discerning observer in me.
To my supreme mortification and disgust, not only was what I said ingratiating but also offensive to a few.
For someone who continuously posts in my blog about the power of words, you would think that I'd keep them soft and tender 'cos I know well I will have to swallow 'em at some point.
Well I can't claim temporary amnesia or insanity for that matter. As I reflected on what I said and how, I hung my head in shame and wondered how I could forget what I so vehemently advocate.
As I reflect on the choice of words I used, I understand that no matter how genuine my intentions, the truth is that the message has to be worded gently.
The worry is, I know all of this... 
Yet I slip, stumble, fumble, fall and fail.
Like we exercise for our bodies to remain fit, I guess I need to practice using language that avoids confrontation, condescension and corrugation. 
And when I slip... don't get mad and walk away, Stay and tell me to buzz off!

No comments: